Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Whatever you do...

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." -- Colossians 3:17

This verse has been rocking my world this week. It's so simple, yet so powerful. Simple, in this case, I mean as the opposite of complex, not of difficult. In fact, I think this simple instruction from Paul is something that almost nobody is really good at.

The problem is, we're far too quick to view these kinds of statements in Scripture as suggestions. But this is a command. It's not just an idea for a way to receive blessing and have a better life (although it is that too), it's a sovereign directive from God himself. Obviously, it's a good plan to pay attention to those. So how do we do this thing that God is commanding? Let's take it piece by piece.

First, we have this crucial qualifier, "whatever you do." This is a huge deal, because this phrase makes the coming instruction all-encompassing. Whatever is about to be said, it applies to every single situation and action in our lives, so it should always be on our mind as we make our decisions. These kinds of over-arching statements in Scripture are fairly rare, and they always indicate things that are of great importance. In fact, I can only think of four others in the whole Bible right now (but if you know of any more, please let me know!). One is in Proverbs 4:23: "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." Also, there are the three "one thing" verses, which I'm pretty sure I've previously mentioned on this blog. They are in Psalm 27:4, Luke 10:42, and Philippians 3:13-14. If you don't know them, you should really look them up right now. Also, I can't think of any better place to start memorizing Scripture than these verses.

Next, we have Paul refusing to leave any loopholes in his command. Words and deeds are both included. I know the old saying "actions speak louder than words" has some merit to it, because a lot of times people remember what you do more than what you say. But, trying to make the two things separate is a deceptively false dichotomy. It's not like what you say is unimportant as long as you do the right thing. Words are actions! They are things you choose, and God expects them, like everything else, to be included in his dominion. To reinforce this beyond all doubt, the next words are "do it all." Everything. Pretty self-explanatory, I think.

Now we come to the payoff. We are to do whatever we do "in the name of the Lord Jesus." This part is really the reason I'm getting rocked by this verse. What does it mean to do something (or, as we are instructed, everything) in Jesus' name? Here's my take on it. If you think about it, every action or word gives glory to something. If I brag about my accomplishments, I give glory to myself. Another way to word that would be that I say those boastful things in my own name. If I idolize a celebrity, I give glory to them. I try to be like them, and make decisions essentially in their name. See where I'm going here? Essentially, we are always worshipping something because that's what bringing glory means. If you disagree, try to think of an action that brings no glory to anyone or anything. I couldn't do it.

That's why I'm thinking that doing something in Jesus' name means doing it for his glory. AND, as I just stated, everything brings glory to someone or something. SO, if we aren't bringing glory to Jesus with what we do, we must be bringing glory to someone or something else. There is no middle ground, no neutral gear here. That actually reminds me of another big over-arching statement of the Bible that I forgot earlier. In Matthew 12:30, Jesus says "He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters." That's what makes this command from Colossians so stunning. There is no moral neutrality. Either words or actions bring glory to God, or they bring glory to something else, and if it's something else then that is against God. Being against God, as you may know, is not a good place to be.

Then to reinforce this point, Paul finishes with the clarification that the things we do should all be out of thanksgiving (see that worship/glory idea again?) to God. This helps us have a better visual picture of what Paul means. It's a good question to ask ourselves as we consider doing something: "can I do this while giving thanks to God?" If the answer is no, we shouldn't do it. End of story.

Here's where this thing gets really sticky for us. As Christians, we want to please God, but we also have our flesh that just wants to please itself. We know it's a bad idea to offend God, so our favorite phrase becomes, "well, it's not wrong..." etc. I'm not going to pull any punches here: that whole idea is a lie from the enemy. If something isn't specifically for God, it's against him. If it doesn't gather glory to God, it scatters that glory elsewhere, and that IS wrong!

Another favorite strategy of ours in justifying our actions is comparison. This one works two different ways. One way is that we have something we want to do, so we look at someone we respect who is doing that: If they're doing it, it must not be wrong! They're a great person! The other way is that we look at someone who is doing something much worse: I'm not doing something that bad, so I should be fine. Both of these approaches have the same problem. The verse doesn't say 'whatever everyone else does,' it says "whatever YOU do"! The decision to glorify God with your life, your words and actions, is up to you individually and no one else. Others might decide differently from us what they think glorifies God, but it shouldn't have any impact on our own decisions. On the flipside of that, we shouldn't judge them either. We should just do what we believe God says is right, no matter what.

So what should we do in light of this all-inclusive command? I can't really tell you what to do because God has to stir it in your heart. As I just mentioned, you shouldn't do anything just because I'm doing it or anyone else is. You need to glorify God in whatever way he shows you. But I'll tell you what I'm doing: I'm looking carefully at my life, thinking and praying about all the things I have and do. If it doesn't glorify Jesus and can't be used to give thanks to God, I'm getting rid of it. When I say getting rid of it, I mean exactly that. In the next week or so, I expect the amount of possessions I have and things I spend my time on to noticeably decrease. I also expect, though, that I won't really miss them if I pursue Jesus instead.

I know that all sounds pretty radical. Jesus was pretty radical too. While we're being radical then, let's just call things what they are. Anything that brings glory to something or someone other than Jesus is an idol. Not just a personal choice, a waste of time, or a harmless little addiction but an idol. And I'm not talking like American Idol, I'm talking like a false god (although I often feel like the two are pretty much synonymous). It's what the first of the Ten Commandments is talking about not having. I just feel like so many of us have the cords of materialism, this world of things we worship, wrapped around us like seaweed dragging us down. What's worse, we don't even know it a lot of the time. I know I didn't. It might be because Christians don't like to use the word idol, which I'm convinced is mostly because it draws attention to their breaking of the first commandment! I know now that I've been breaking this commandment and ignoring it for years. Speaking of people who had seaweed wrapped around them, Jonah said, "those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs" (Jonah 2:8). I don't want to miss out on any more blessings because of stupid things I bow down to! I want to guard my heart and see my life be blessed because of it.

Now, will I get all this right, and keep that command perfectly? I highly doubt it. But I will try. I have to. I'm realizing more and more that if following Jesus isn't a 100% thing, I don't even want to do it. I'm tired of wasting my life. God is calling us to radical holiness, something completely outside what this world's system can offer, something for which there is no model other than Jesus. Holiness. Worshipping one God, being set apart for one purpose only. "Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:13-14, ESV).

Want to come with me?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

YES!!!! I read this last night and Lord has been challenging me with it ever since. There is so much He has called us to and will we lay down our stuff to answer His radical call? I want to!! Thanks for the challenge & inspiration. Let me know how the cleansing of idols goes.

Unknown said...

So,I was intrigued by the question of what other over-arching/all inclusive commands were in Scripture, and I went to the trusty Concordance to find some. Here are some verses for consideration that I found that are along those similar lines...
Psalm 62:11-12
Mark 10:21
1 Corinthians 10:31
Colossians 3:23
James 5:12
1 Peter 4:8
2 Peter 1:20-21

Dillon said...

You'll excuse my thought-vomit, but:

I think that's so true, that as Christians we avoid the word idol, because it applies in so many ways to our lives, to my life. And that we justify it by comparison to what others do.
I was reminded of Romans 14:23, that everything that does not come from faith is sin. So when we have to try so hard to convince ourselves that something is ok, it's like, so obvious that we don't have faith for it. And our faith does not come from ourselves, as we learned at Fall Into Healing, but God gives us faith for things (Hebrews 12:2, pretty sure this applies).
And Romans 12:2. The whole idea of not looking at others around us to figure out what to do, and to actually figure out what God wants us to do, it's all in there but it's not in us yet. Yet.
If Jesus truly only did what he saw the Father doing, that he took his ques from God, then what have we been doing for the past 2000 years? And what have I been doing for the last 17?

Dillon said...

Wow, so I feel like I really did vomit all over your blog Ben. (aside from spelling cue wrong, I think I've heard you say the bit about "what've we been doing for the past 2000 years" before) Sorry!
I do believe these things are true, but what's important is actually starting to do them now, instead of blaming other Christians, or even repremanding myself in a strangly self-righteous way.
I think this is a really cool thing to go after Ben. Definitely challenging.

Ben said...

Sarah- Thanks for the encouragement and the research! I'm willing to add Colossians 3:23, James 5:12 and 1 Peter 4:8 to my list for sure. The 1 Corinthians one is pretty much identical to the one this entry is about, so I guess that could count too but it might be redundant. The 2 Peter and Psalms ones don't strike me as commands per se, although they are excellent. And Mark 10:21 is one God has really challenged me with personally, but I'm not sure yet whether it would be for everyone or just for that specific situation.

Also, after some more thought, I'd like to add to my list Matthew 6:33 and Colossians 3:14 as well. Man, that makes three out of the same chapter!

Dillon-- I appreciate your comments, and you have no need to apologize for them in any way. Don't sell yourself short. I think you're right on with the Scriptures you're connecting there, and it sounds like God is really stirring in your heart some of the same things. My favorite thing you said, which I totally agree with, is that there's no point in beating ourselves up about this. We just need to seek God and follow him day by day. That's what Philippians 3:13-14 is all about!

Calvin & Hobbes comic of the day