Thursday, December 24, 2009

Finding Christmas

As I've been getting older, I find that I sometimes have trouble getting in the "Christmas spirit" like I did when I was a kid. Maybe it's just because when I was little, all Christmas meant to me really was the excitement of getting new stuff. You know, waking up and realizing you finally made it through the agonizingly long night, going downstairs to find the tree all lit up and a beautiful unknown haul of presents under it... that kind of stuff. I think decorations also seem more fun and festive when you're a little kid, and they certainly aren't just another task that needs to be completed. Anyway, Christmas was definitely joyful to me when I was a child, albeit possibly not for the right reasons.

Somewhere along the way, though, you start to realize that presents aren't always going to be enough. I've always known what Christmas is really all about (Linus in "A Charlie Brown Christmas" anyone?), but I think my young brain had a bad disconnect between that and what actually happened around Christmas. Good tidings of great joy=...presents?? Now, I realize of course that Jesus gave us the best gift and that's why we give gifts on Christmas, and I love giving gifts to people I love! All I know is, I was at the mall yesterday buying said gifts, and I left feeling depressed despite the fact that I got some really cool stuff I'm excited about giving.

Here's a poem I wrote most of a long time ago (and without thinking about Christmas) that describes some of my thoughts today:


Search Engine

A search for entertainment, from desire to forget
the pains already suffered and prevent the ones not yet,
a fight to disengage the mind and not to know, just feel:
we can only live when happy; deeper feelings we conceal.
So the cycle will increase just as it always has before,
an insatiable desire reaching out for more and more.

A search for education, to remember we aspire,
to learn why things aren’t working out through knowledge we acquire,
and so the mind is stretched while the emotions just congeal:
we trust only what we understand and nothing else is real.
But as we learn, the more we know at some things we must guess:
disillusionment reversed, reaching into less and less.

A search for something different, but what difference does it make
in a Nutri-sweet and plastic world where everything is fake?
Still the imitations indicate that real things do exist,
and they might be there for finding if we only can resist
the current that pulls down around and kills beneath the fall
to go through instead of under, to where truth is all in all.



I guess maybe I'm just tired of all the fakeness. I'm with Charlie Brown: Christmas is way too commercial. And man, if he was worried about that in the '60's, what would he say now? See, I'm all in favor of gifts, but I'm worried that we're skipping the part about honoring and remembering Jesus' gift and just using it as an excuse to go whole-hog into the materialism that is probably the #1 besetting vice of American culture. I know he would want us to celebrate his birth, but I can't help asking: is this how he would want us to do it?

It's this materialistic tendency, I think, that can make all the best things about Christmas the things that we end up hating. Maybe that's why I like How the Grinch Stole Christmas (both versions) more than almost any of my friends do. I identify with the Grinch! I also think the modern version is really on to something with this idea of Christmas as a search for something. Unfortunately, they chose to express that insight through the song, "Where are you, Christmas?", a song that is almost tolerable when that cute little who sings it, but completely insufferable when sung by Faith Hill or whoever it was in the credits. In any case, that song (like so many other secular songs) is inches away from being a Jesus song. It has an excellent grasp of a real problem... but then it offers a worthless solution.

The solution offered by the song is, however, close: it suggests saving Christmas by having love and joy in our hearts. Great, now how do I do that, especially when I have to go to the mall filled with shoppers that generally tend to seem much more angry than loving and workers that seem far more depressed than joyful? That could just be because I'm such a last minute shopper... but still. The key thing is, there's no way I can just generate these good feelings. In the terms of my poem above, I can't entertain myself into forgetting my pain, and I can't intellectualize it away. I desperately need a third option, but I find it obscured by a lot of fakeness and annoying decorations.

I'm not trying to be a downer here. I think the state of Christmas in America is pretty sad, but there is one thing I like about it: it gets people searching. It's also the one time every year when the gospel message gets on national tv (thank God for Linus!). Hopefully, when people get tired of the cheap imitations, they'll realize that the mere proliferation of imitations means there must be something real somewhere. There is real love to be had, and real joy comes with it. That's why all I really want to do this Christmas is worship God and spend time with people I love. What if we focused on that instead of making a part-time job out of managing/purchasing/looking for Christmas? As I'm trying to shift my focus, I'm noticing that the real joy and peace that are supposed to be associated with Christmas spirit have come to me from the Father and his love! Have we ever thought that maybe the "Christmas Spirit" should be the Holy Spirit? I ask because the Spirit is the one who reveals the Father's love and the joy of being saved by Jesus to us, and we'll never find Christmas until we find Christ.

3 comments:

Dillon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dillon said...

You're right that people are searching for satisfaction at Christmastime. Even in Christian circles, it seems like we buy into the idea that Christmas is a time to be with family and give gifts, and that somehow we will all be really happy because we're doing these things at Christmas. Without a better understanding of why we do these things, it's still shallow.
Neither our families nor our giving is enough to bring us joy. Our family and friends can never love us perfectly, and we can never love them enough to satisfy. Like you said, as Christians we know what Christmas is supposed to be about, but it appears we have willingly adopted our culture's mandate that gifts must be given at Christmastime and it has taken center stage.
It is truly more blessed to give than to receive, but all to often I find that I had better give because I know I will receive, and it will be awkward if I don't give something back. Generosity can seem very forced sometimes at Christmas, and then it's not as satisfying.
The beautiful thing about God's gift to us was that we didn't deserve it and he knew we couldn't pay Him back. I like the idea of worshiping God at Christmastime, because Christmas is not about what we have to give. What if we were to just enjoy what we've received for a time? I don't see why we shouldn't live generously all the rest of the year long, after we're done celebrating what Jesus did for us. Acts 20:35 is not restricted to the days and weeks from Thanksgiving through December 25th. I’m certainly not opposed to giving gifts, but the pressure at this time of year sucks the joy out of doing it.

burnewash said...

Excellent poem Ben! I must say, your selection of words and stanza structure created a very nice flow. All that, and you made a lot of solid points.

I’m not sure if I’ve taken the right perspective on Christmas or not, but I’ve figure it is what it is. Part of the problem is that people look to Christmas to be something that it was never supposed to be (or could be). Kind of like Dillon said; why does Christmas have to be so special? That’s where the disconnect can come in; when we look for a holiday to fill the hole Ben’s poem described.

I know it is cliché to try and avoid clichés, but the whole “Jesus is the reason for the season” slogan makes me cringe. Although Jesus is undeniably the reason for the season, I think that people can use that to, again, make Christmas something it can’t be. It’s such an intangible ideal too that it tends to disappoint rather then encourage. So, in my mind it boils down to exactly what you guys have already said. True worship is the only way to enjoy Christmas, or any other day.

Calvin & Hobbes comic of the day